You did read right…Look after your health and get the doughnut taste in your mouth too… You can have them both with this dish! I came across this exotic recipe while doing my usual research (??) on pinterest and I had to rush straight towards the kitchen to put this together.
To put you out of your misery, let me quickly share this recipe. The advice is to use stale bread as fresh bread absorbs too much egg and goes all soggy on you! Also, I sometimes add a mashed banana to the egg mixture. I hear you say “that’s kid food!”. I say “No, that’s comfort food at its best”. With or without a banana, either way, it’s just delicious…So, here goes:
- 4 thick slices brown bread (though white is recommended and am sure will taste even nicer)
- 1½ tbsp butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- a pinch of salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
- Maple syrup to serve (optional)
- Cut each slice into 4 sticks. (Remove crust if you fancy though all the goodness apparently rests in the crusts. Your call!)
- Combine the eggs, milk and a pinch of salt in a bowl large enough to roll the bread sticks in.
- Combine the cinnamon, cardamom and sugar on a plate.
- Heat some of the butter in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Roll the sticks in the egg mixture quickly (do not soak them), shake off excess and place in pan.
- Turn to cook each side until golden but not burnt!
- Immediately transfer to the plate with the cinnamon + cardamom sugar and roll to coat. Remember to do this, while it is still hot, else the sugar won’t stick to the bread sticks.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup to dunk the sticks in.
Voila! In less than 15 minutes, you have gone from starving to having one of the most delicious snacks, breakfast dishes on this planet! Isn’t quick food cooking just awesome??? Thank you Nag for the sweet inspiration.